Q.: My 9 year old son suffers from severe seasonal allergies with sneezing and itchy eyes mostly in the early summer time. His food sensitivity test shows that he is highly sensitive to dairy products. He also has been diagnosed with ADD recently. His teacher complains that he is often “day-dreaming” in class and can’t finish his work on time. Can homeopathic treatment help my son with ADD and allergies?
A.: Food allergies are very common in children. Yes, Homeopathic Medicine greatly relieves food and environmental sensitivities and allergies and learning problems. It helps kids to become more focused and concentrated in school.
Types of Food Allergy:
There are basically two types of food allergies: immediate and delayed ( IgE-mediated and non-IgE mediated in medical terms).
- An immediate reaction occurs within minutes of eating a food and consists of hives, swelling of the lips, face and eyes or difficulty breathing. The latter reaction can be very serious and must be treated immediately. Common foods that can cause this are shrimp and nuts.
- The second type of reaction is a delayed one, called Food Sensitivity. Symptoms may vary from painful and bloated stomach to feelings of fatigue. It may occur hours or even 2-3 days after eating a certain food. The most common symptoms are hay fever, sinus congestion, itching eyes, abdominal discomfort. The unusual symptoms may include behavioral problems.
Recognizing behavior reactions to foods
Because of the body’s delayed response it’s difficult to make an association with a specific food. Further more, we are used to thinking that an allergic reaction might appear as a skin rash. However, being exposed to certain kinds of foods, chemicals, pollen or mold, the reaction can be manifested only by changes in mental, emotional and behavior spheres.
Have you ever noticed that your child reacts differently after certain meals, especially after “junk food snacks”?
Does your child behave differently on the days he/she eats candy, peanut butter, popcorn, pizza or soft drinks?
Have you seen any differences after a party? Just think how do Birthday parties, Christmas and Valentine’s Day affect your child? Remember what happens during Halloween when kids eat lots of candy? Perhaps you’ve seen kids being a little “hyper”, acting silly, throwing tantrums and yelling loudly?
How do I know if my child is sensitive to food?
- Children act as if they are “spaced out”
- They are sleepy or become tired quickly
- Fidgety and can’t sit still
- Pushing, biting, kicking, punching
- Lapses in their concentration
- Can’t stay focused or are unable to respond normally to advice or instructions
- Hyperactivity, depression, fatigue, headaches, abdominal discomfort
- Silliness, irritability, aggression, falling asleep after eating or persistent yawning
Food that makes kids sensitive:
It is known that children have an intense craving for the foods to which they are most sensitive. This sensitivity could be towards a variety of foods based on a child’s individuality.
For example, dairy products can make some children hyperactive or mean, some kids might turn blue with asthma, and others might develop headaches, weakness, or wet their bed.
How to solve the problem:
In my experience, homeopathic medicine combined with life style changes, special elimination/rotation diets and some supplements (like Vitamin C) are very important to keep a child healthy. Homeopathy gently works for every child individually, helping the body to heal itself. It balances a child mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically.